Are you fighting with Acidity?
Can a good diet be a solution to combat acidity? In today’s article, we will discuss top foods to reduce acidity.
What is Acidity?
Acidity is a term used for a set of symptoms caused by excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach. Some commonly experienced symptoms of acidity are burning sensation in chest, stomach or throat, sour taste in mouth, post-meal heaviness and discomfort in upper abdomen.
Causes of Acidity
Stress, a hectic lifestyle, missed meals, low water intake and consuming spicy foods are common causes of acidity.
Some easily found foods & ingredients are extremely effective at reducing acid reflux or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
These top foods to reduce acidity are:
1.Buttermilk: Buttermilk contains lactic acid that normalizes acidity in the stomach. Have this on a regular basis after your meals to aid in digestion. Adding a little asafoetida to the buttermilk will help relieve acidity even more.
2. Ginger: Ginger has several anti-inflammatory effects. You can add this to your foods, chew a small piece or chop it and add it to water or buttermilk to reduce acidity. Ginger candies are very effective to consume while travelling. You can try fennel as well.
3. Bananas: Bananas contain natural antacids. It is the simplest home remedy for getting rid of acidity. Eat one banana every day to prevent discomfort.
4. Milk: Cold milk is an alkaline food and is rich in magnesium which aids in reducing acidity. It also helps reduce the pH of your body.
5. Coconut Water: Coconut water again is alkaline and helps reduce your body’s pH and thereby can help alleviate symptoms of acidity. An additional advantage is that it is great for your skin.
6. Apples: Both apples and apple cider vinegar are widely regarded as effective treatments of stomach acid. Although apples are acidic, they contain healthy acids and enzymes that help neutralize stomach acid inside your body.
7. Mint & Basil: At the first sign of gas, eat a few basil/mint leaves or boil 3-4 leaves in a cup of water and let it simmer for a few minutes. Sip on it frequently. Herbs like parsley and coriander can also be used.
8. Cinnamon: Cinnamon works as a natural antacid and can settle your stomach, by improving digestion and absorption. Add a pinch to water or curd or buttermilk and consume. Other spices like cloves are equally effective in reducing acidity.
9. Oats: Oatmeal is a a whole grain, and an excellent source of fiber. Oatmeal can absorb acid in the stomach and reduce symptoms of reflux.
10. Fruits & Vegetables: Most fruits and veggies also help reduce acidity to a great extent so munching on them regularly in between and before meals is always a good idea.
Hope you liked our top foods to reduce acidity.
Please find out more similar articles on medical issues at here.
My22BMI is a digital healthcare startup addressing the problem of managing lifestyle diseases through diet counselling & coaching. We empower lives to eat healthy and smartly. We believe food should be your first medicine.