Giving birth is one of the best moments of lifetime for women. But post pregnancy days often become very challenging for them due to the adoption of new routine consisting of sleepless nights, baby care stress, birth marks and weight gaining – which if not taken care of can lead to severe post pregnancy depression and other physical complications.
Weight gaining during pregnancy is very common but if it’s not reduced after delivery it can really affect your health going forward. Heavy workouts are recommended only after 3 months of delivery but during that period a healthy well balanced diet can really help you to set your weight loss journey on right path.
Reducing your intake during lactation can affect you breast milk production. So you need to be smart in planning your meal during this time. The meal should be such as so that you can get the benefit of weight management without affecting your milk flow!
Here are the golden rules that can help you to manage your post pregnancy weight without affecting your milk flow and nutritional status –
- Take short and frequent meals: During lactation due to milk production the mother requires good amount of energy. Eating everything at once can increase the carb load in blood resulting in fat production. Eating short and frequent meals can supply adequate energy to the body whenever needed and this can help to keep the metabolic rate up leading to fat loss.
- Consume more protein rich foods: Breast milk is made up of protein. A diet low in protein can result in maternal muscle loss which can affect the strength and stamina of the mother. Eating a meal having high quality protein can help in maternal muscle mass preservation. Muscles are the active tissues of body which takes part in metabolism leading to fat loss.
- Drink enough water: Water helps to flush out toxins from the body and keeps the system clean so that metabolism can happen properly.
- Eat a high fiber meal: Dietary fibers are potent to reduce body weight naturally. A meal rich in whole grain cereal, fresh fruits and veggies can supple adequate fiber to your body which can help you to lose weight.
- Never skip your breakfast: Breakfast being the first meal of the day always helps in boosting up metabolism. Skipping breakfast can reduce the metabolic rate leaving you tired. A complete breakfast with a portion of protein, carb and fiber can be ideal for a lactating mother.
- Cut down on unhealthy junks: Remember, during the period of lactation your baby eats what you eat. So having a junk meal, fried, fatty foods are not only going to affect your weight, but also it will affect your baby too.
- Add variety to your diet: Eating the same meal everyday can make you feel bored and leave you with no interest in eating. A lot of healthy and easy recipes are available on internet, make good use of them. Use a lot of colorful fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds for obtaining some twist in taste. And yes, they will add on to nutrient intake as well!
- Share a meal with family: Having one meal with family members can really help you to reduce your stress. Try this today!
Following these rules will surely make an impact on your post pregnancy weight loss!
Contact our qualified nutrition and holistic health experts over a one time Free Consultation Call and find out how to manage your post pregnancy weight.
Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter for more health and nutrition tips.
My22BMI is a digital healthcare startup addressing the problem of managing lifestyle diseases through personalised diet plans. My22BMI empower lives to eat healthy and smartly and believe food should be your first medicine. The expert health coaches provide personalised diet plans for heart health, gut health, skin & hair health, weight management, mother & child nutrition and hormonal health. Download our Android app from the Google playstore.