Detoxification or detoxification is the physiological or medicinal removal of toxic substances from the human body, which is mainly carried out by the liver. So, basically, when we are talking about Detox/ Detoxification, we are talking about eating a diet that supports and improves the functioning of our liver. The liver is an organ responsible for many important functions in our body such as detoxification of various metabolites, synthesizes proteins, and produces biochemicals necessary for digestion.
Why is Detoxification important??
In simple words, Detox is a process through which your body gets rid of waste. If waste builds up, we get sick. The key is in, figuring out how to enhance our body’s capacity to detoxify and get rid of the waste while minimizing our exposure to toxins. So, to put it in most simple words, it’s to prevent the building up of waste in our bodies and to prevent ourselves from any possible sickness.
Detoxification is not about weight loss alone. It’s mainly about helping and supporting your body to get rid of all the waste through proper dietary choices. It is beneficial for one and all.
Some Tips for Detoxification
It becomes extremely important to detox the body especially after the festive season, as festive season calls for a lot of unhealthy eating. There is a lot of fried food, Sweets, and foods high in Trans Fat are consumed during the festivities. Detoxification is an excellent way to recover your body from the ill effects of such eating at the right time.
Following are some tips, that can be followed while being on a detox diet –
1) Start your day with a glass full of detox water. The ones that are naturally healing to one’s health issues are the best ones, to begin with. For example, a glass of lemon detox water, cinnamon water, ginger water, etc.
2) Resort to Clean and Simple Eating. Eating foods that are simple and not complex. Foods that are not immensely flavored or seasoned. Dishes cooked with the least number of ingredients are the best ones to go for.
3) Avoid outside food and Packaged food completely. Packaged drinks, long shelf life food products, etc.
4) Drink enough water throughout the day. Keep yourself hydrated and nourished.
5) Go for freshly squeezed vegetable juices over fruit juices.
6) Eat small and frequent meals. This helps in the metabolism working faster, letting the body get rid of many toxins in the process.
7) Eat foods that are good for the functioning of our liver. Such as citrus fruits, berries, Beetroot juice, cruciferous vegetables.
8) Avoid alcohol completely. Also, caffeine should be restricted. Not more than a cup a day.
9) Work out. Follow a regular workout regime. Working out and exercising doesn’t only help in the removal of the toxins but also releases certain hormones in the body that promote a healthy body.
10) Stay happy. Eat the right food, exercise the right way, read the right books, hang around with the right people, have a good hobby, and invest your time on your self as well.