I think you should have a bright Green smoothie today! Green smoothie is not only a unique color but it also offers unique health benefits. Made with leafy greens that are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins, a green smoothie is an excellent way to enjoy a delicious drink that satisfies hunger and offers maximum nutrition.
Nutritional value of a green smoothie:
Leafy greens are packed with nutrition. They are a great source of non-dairy calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin C. And they contain carotenoids that may help protect against macular degeneration and foliate to guard against heart disease and cancer.
What should be in your green smoothie?
If you want your smoothie to be healthy, keep the alkalizing greens dominant (60-80%). Know that these greens shouldn’t ever compromise the taste. Get them in, mask them with some low to medium GI fruit. Easy, neutral-tasting greens include romaine and spinach. Start with these and you may get hooked. Other fun greens to play with include kale, collard greens (stems removed), butter/red/green lettuce, fennel, celery, cucumber, and herbs (cilantro, mint, and parsley — in smaller quantities). If you’re overwhelmed by the taste of pungent or bitter greens, halve the amount and substitute with romaine or spinach. Low GI fruits include apples, pears, grapefruit, kiwi, oranges, strawberries, and plums, while medium GI fruits include bananas, mangoes, papaya, and pineapple, to name a few.
Again, while getting used to the tastes you can use up to 50% of fruits in your smoothie.
Should I add supplements/additives to my smoothie?
You can add a few mixers/supplements to your smoothies depending on your health goals and needs. You can consider adding:
- For fiber: chia seeds, flax seeds, psyllium husks.
- For protein: spirulina, chlorella, nuts (almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts), seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, chia, flax, hemp), or protein powders.
- Vitamins and minerals
- For healthy fat: coconut (meat, oil, butter), avocado, nuts (almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts), seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, chia, flax, hemp).
- Miscellaneous healers: vanilla bean powder, cinnamon (blood sugar regulator), ginger (digestive), turmeric (anti-inflammatory), cayenne (gut cleaner)
Why should I consider a green smoothie?
- It will boost your green vegetable intake and contribute to overall fruits and vegetable intake.
- It is nutrition in a glass as it is jam-packed with the best nutrients.
- It’s an excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
- It’s healthier than fruit and vegetable juices.
- It strengthens your immune system due to their vitamin C content.
- It will give you amazing nutrients.
- It provides a lasting source of energy.
- It is low in calories but high on nutrition.
- It can help reduce cholesterol levels and high blood sugar levels.
- It will have amazing anti-inflammatory benefits.
- A green smoothie will help give you amazing skin and hair.
Experiment with different greens available locally and pair them with your favorite fruits. Put them in a clear glass jar/glass so that visual appeal is more as well.
My22BMI is a digital healthcare startup addressing the problem of managing lifestyle diseases through diet counseling & coaching. We empower lives to eat healthily and smartly. We believe food should be your first medicine. To get started on your health journey, please fill-up the details HERE and we will do the rest.