Do you feel like you have cold symptoms all year round? You might be suffering from allergic rhinitis.
Allergies can be severely debilitating diseases with a high impact on sufferers, preventing them to take part in everyday life.
WHAT IS ALLERGIC RHINITIS?
It is characterized by episodes of nasal congestion, watery nasal discharge & sneezing. It may be seasonal or present throughout the year.
It’s due to our body’s immune response to seasonal allergens including pollen, flower, trees, house dust, animal fur or by any chemical irritant like a mosquito repellent spray and creams.
The common symptoms include sneezing, itching in the nose, eyes, ears & palate, watery discharge from nose, headache, no sense of smell or taste, red watery eyes, eye swelling, fatigue & drowsiness. These symptoms usually start soon after being exposed to an allergen.
It’s an extremely common condition affecting approximately one out of five people. Allergic rhinitis though not a life-threatening condition, but it can lead to complications in some cases. These complications significantly impair the quality of life if not managed properly.
THE COMMON COMPLICATIONS ARE
- Acute & chronic sinusitis
- Ear infections
- Sleep disturbances
- Seasonal asthma in long-standing cases of allergic rhinitis.
- Nasal Polyps
- Atopic Dermatitis (skin reactions).
Though the commonest cause of allergic rhinitis is the exposure to various irritants in the environment, a significant genetic component is involved. Allergic Rhinitis runs in families too. There is a far greater risk if both parents have Allergic Rhinitis
TREATING AND PREVENTING ALLERGIC RHINITIS
- Environment: Keep the exposure to the allergens to a minimum. Though it is not easy to completely avoid all allergens, you can take steps to reduce your exposure to a certain type of allergen which you know is triggering your rhinitis. Example if you start sneezing in the presence of animals keep them at a distance. It will help improve your symptoms.
- Medical: If your condition is mild over the counter drugs can help you with the symptoms like non- sedating antihistamines & Montelukast. Regularly rinse your nasal passages with salt water to keep your nose free from irritants.
If you have Chronic & more severe symptoms, your G.P may prescribe a steroid nasal spray.
LIFESTYLE CHANGES TO MANAGE ALLERGIC RHINITIS EASILY AND EFFECTIVELY
Most of the cases of allergic rhinitis are mild and can be very well managed & prevented by certain changes in your diet. But some symptoms can be severe and persistent and require medical attention.
It often seems like there is nothing you can do about your allergy and that you have to juggle life in between bouts of sneezing and watery eyes. It’s certainly not true, certain changes in your diet can help you manage your condition very effectively. And these changes are actually very practical. You will see the improvement as the frequency of these attacks will lower down. And it also helps you minimize the use of antihistamines & other medications.
CERTAIN CHANGES IN THE DIET :
- Add omega-3 fats to your diet, It has anti-inflammatory properties which help in fighting the allergens. Omega-3 rich foods includes flax seeds, walnuts, soybeans, cold water fish like salmon, cod & halibut
- Herbs like oregano, thyme, rosemary, peppermint & coriander.
- Red onions, broccoli, red grapes, cherries, citrus fruits, tea, raspberries & cranberries.
- Add vitamin C to your diet like oranges
- Add probiotics to your diet like yogurt or probiotic supplements in your diet. They aid in digestion & control the growth of harmful bacteria. A healthy gut significantly reduces the skin reactions due to exposure to allergens.
Contact our qualified nutrition and holistic health experts at My22BMI for a one time Free Consultation Call.
Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter for more health and nutrition tips.
My22BMI is a digital healthcare startup addressing the problem of managing lifestyle diseases through personalised diet plans. My22BMI empower lives to eat healthy and smartly and believe food should be your first medicine. The expert health coaches provide personalised diet plans for heart health, gut health, skin & hair health, weight management, mother & child nutrition and hormonal health. Download our Android app from the Google playstore.